The People of FMC
Born in 1821 in Maine, John Bean achieved a considerable reputation as the inventor of the first double-acting force pump for wells. The continuous flow turbine became an engineering classic and is still in use today. His Buckeye Force Pump, the first deep-well pump ever made, sold by the thousands. Bean died in 1909.
David Christian Crummey
Born in 1844 in Albany, New York, David Christian Crummey fought in several major Civil War campaigns, including the Battle of Gettysburg and the Siege of Atlanta. Later, he secured a job as a salesman for Mast, Foos & Company, producers of agricultural implements and pumps. Crummey married John Bean's daughter Addie. Crummey died on May 27, 1928.
One of seven children, Will Anderson traveled from Indiana to California in a covered wagon in 1863. Young Anderson left home at the age of 12, supporting himself by working on grain ranches in the Sierra foothills of California. Those years of backbreaking physical labor left an indelible impression on Anderson: He was to spend his life designing laborsaving devices. His mechanical prune dipper revolutionized prune processing. By his early twenties Anderson was a successful businessman and inventor. Anderson served as president of Anderson-Barngrover, and then as chairman of the board of Food Machinery Corporation until his death in 1940.
John David Crummey
The true founder of FMC, John David Crummey attended Stanford University in Palo Alto, but quit after the first year to work at his cousin's bike shop. In 1901 he left the bicycle trade to take over sales of the Bean Spray Pump Company. Bicycles continued to play a role in Crummey's success. The business could barely afford the cost of train fare for his sales calls, so Crummey often bicycled instead, strapping the demonstration pump on his back. Crummey died in November 1976 at the age of 98. He was associated with FMC for 75 years-for 55 years as an officer, and for 20 years as honorary chairman of the board.
Prolific inventor Al Thompson was the genius behind nearly all of Anderson-Barngrover's innovations in the canning equipment industry. After the introduction of the successful syruper machine in 1909, Thompson developed the mechanical peach pitter and the pear peeler-inventions that revolutionized the canning and processing of these fruits. Born to a poor Illinois farm family in 1879, Thompson obtained his engineering training through correspondence courses. In 1928, Thompson became vice president and chief engineer of Food Machinery Corporation-a position he held until his retirement in 1945. Thompson served as a director of the executive committee until his death in 1947, at which time he held more than 200 patents, all assigned to Food Machinery Corporation.
An extraordinary engineer, Jim Hait is best known for his work developing FMCs amphibious tank. Born in Brooklyn, New York, in 1906, Hait graduated from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in 1928 with a mechanical engineering degree. He worked at Emsco Derrick and Equipment Company, then at Peerless Pump as chief engineer. When FMC acquired Peerless in 1932, Hait remained chief engineer, developing important innovations to pump design, and filing more than 20 patents. At FMC, Hait ultimately served as president and chief executive officer. In 1971 he retired as chairman, but continued to serve as a senior consultant and chairman of the corporate technical committee. In 1975 he retired from the board of directors. In 1983, Hait was inducted into the Ordnance Hall of Fame, one of the few civilians to be so honored. In 1999, he was inducted into the Silicon Valley Engineering Hall of Fame.
Under the direction of Paul Davies, FMC was transformed from a regional manufacturer of food processing machinery and spray pumps into a conglomerate. Born in Cozad, Nebraska, on July 27, 1899, Davies attended the University of California at Berkeley and Harvard Business School. When his funds ran out after the first year, Davies took a job with the National Bank of Commerce in New York. After a year, he returned to California to take a job at the Mercantile Trust Company. Davies married John Crummey's daughter Faith in 1926. Two years later Davies joined Food Machinery Corporation as treasurer. He remained with FMC for 46 years, attaining the positions of president, chairman of the board and chief executive officer, chairman of the executive committee, and then senior director. Davies retired in 1972, three years before his death.
A man of strong financial abilities, Jack Pope played a key role in FMC's post-World War II growth. Born in Helena, Montana, Pope graduated in 1936 from Stanford University with a degree in economic accountancy. After six years with Price Waterhouse, he was hired by FMC. Pope's first assignment in 1942 was the start-up of the Procurement & Engineering Division that manufactured amphibious vehicles for the military. Subsequently, Pope held positions as controller, vice president and administrative assistant to the president, and financial vice president. In 1958 he was elected to the board of directors, and in 1960 he became executive vice president-administration. In 1963 Pope was appointed manager of the newly acquired American Viscose Division. In 1966 he was named president. Pope retired as president and CEO in 1971. He died on January 16, 1985.
Under the guidance of Robert Malott, FMC's managers became more involved in policy debates and politics. Born in Boston in 1926, Malott spent some years in the Navy, and received a bachelor's degree in chemistry from the University of Kansas in 1948. After graduating from Harvard Business School, Malott served as assistant to the dean of the Advanced Management program at the school. He joined FMC in 1952, serving as controller, then assistant division manager and manager of the Organic Chemicals Division. In 1968 he became executive vice president of planning and a member of the president's office. In 1970 Malott was named executive vice president of the Machinery Divisions, and in 1971 he was elected president and CEO of FMC. Malott took an active role in corporate boards, trade associations, and civic and public policy research organizations. He retired as CEO and chairman of the board in 1991. Malott served as a director and chairman of the executive committee until 1997.
One of the chief architects of FMC's growth, Benjamin Carter was born in 1907 in Rainier, Oregon. He spent several of his school years in Yokohama, Japan, where his father ran a successful business. He attended William Warren Military Academy (now Menlo School and College) near San Francisco. In 1923 an earthquake wiped out his father's business. His father died when Carter was 20. For a year Carter had to stay out of school and work on neighboring ranches. After graduating from Stanford University in 1929, he went to work for Price Waterhouse, attaining his CPA. Carter joined FMC in 1933 as assistant to the controller, and in 1940 became controller. Subsequently, he was elected a vice president, member of the board of directors and the executive committee, executive vice president of the Machinery Divisions, executive vice president of finance, and vice chairman. When Jim Hait retired in 1971, Carter was elected chairman of the board, a position he held until his retirement in April 1974. He died in September 1999.
FMC's champion of safety, Ray Tower served in the Navy before graduating from Yale with a bachelor's degree in chemistry in 1945. He later completed graduate work in chemistry at the Newark College of Engineering and attended the Harvard Advanced Management Program. In 1946 he joined Westvaco Chlorine Products Company as a chemist. Three years later he became an assistant product manager in marketing. In 1951 Tower was called again by the Navy, and after two years in the Mediterranean he returned as district manager of Westvaco's New York office. After FMC acquired Westvaco, Tower became marketing director of the Inorganic Chemical Division. Subsequently, he was elected vice president and general manager of Inorganic Chemicals, executive vice president of the Chemical Group, member of the board of directors, president and co-chief operating officer, and chief operating officer. Tower led a major drive to improve FMC's safety record. In just two years the operations reduced lost workday cases by 50 percent. Tower retired from the presidency and the board in 1990 after more than 40 years with FMC.
A graduate of Stanford University and Stanford Business School, Emiel Nielsen left General Mills in 1942 to take a position with FMC's new Procurement and Engineering Division, a dedicated group that made history with the development of the Water Buffalo and its successor amphibious vehicles. After the war, Nielsen supervised construction of a packing equipment plant in Texas, and represented the food machinery and defense businesses in FMC's Washington, D.C., office. In 1949 he returned to San Jose to join a new team that designed the M59 personnel carrier. Nielsen also participated in the successful M113 armored personnel carrier program. He served as manufacturing manager of the Ordnance Division, and in 1960 he became division manager. Nielsen was subsequently elected a vice president, executive vice president, member of the board of directors, and executive vice president of the Machinery Group. In 1977 he was elected vice chairman and co-chief operating officer. Nielsen retired in 1979 after 37 years with FMC.
Bob Burt brought extensive international experience to FMC. Born in Cleveland, Ohio, Burt graduated from Princeton University with a chemical engineering degree. An ROTC scholarship recipient, after graduation Burt was commissioned a lieutenant in the Marine Corps and assigned as a combat engineering officer in Okinawa. After fulfilling his three-year ROTC commitment, Burt entered Harvard Business School. Upon graduation he joined Mobil Oil Company's corporate planning department, and was assigned to the Tokyo office. After two years, he was assigned liaison responsibility with Mobil's New Zealand and Australian affiliates. In 1968, Burt joined Chemtron as director of corporate planning. After a year and a half, he moved to the international division. He joined FMC in 1973, helping to establish the company's corporate planning methodology. In 1976 Burt became director of planning and control in the agricultural chemicals division. A year later he was named general manager. In 1983 Burt took over FMC's defense business. In 1988 he was elected executive vice president. In 1990 he was elected president, and in 1991 he assumed the responsibilities of chairman and CEO.
William G. Walter
William G. Walter served as FMC Corporation’s President and Chief Executive Officer from August 2001 until December 31, 2009, and as Chairman of the Board from December 2001 until September 30, 2010, when he retired from the company. Mr. Walter joined FMC in 1974, and held various senior level positions including Executive Vice President; Vice President and General Manager, Specialty Chemicals Group; and General Manager, Alkali Chemicals Division. Mr. Walter is a member of the Board of Directors of International Paper Company, the American Chemistry Council, New York Life Insurance Company and the President’s Advisory Committee for Trade Policy and Negotiations. He holds a Bachelor of Science in Economics from Loras College and a Master of Business Administration in Marketing and Finance from Northwestern University.
President, Chief Executive Officer and Chairman of the Board
Pierre Brondeau joined FMC Corporation on January 1, 2010, as President and Chief Executive Officer and became Chairman of the Board on October 1, 2010. Mr. Brondeau came from The Dow Chemical Company where he served as President and Chief Executive Officer of Dow Advanced Materials until September 2009. Prior to joining Dow, Mr. Brondeau was President and Chief Operating Officer of Rohm and Haas Company, which was acquired by Dow Chemical in 2009. During his 20-year career at Rohm and Haas, Mr. Brondeau held numerous executive positions in Europe and the United States with global responsibilities for marketing, sales, research and development, engineering, technology and operations. Mr. Brondeau serves on the board of directors of Tyco Electronics and is a member of the American Chemistry Council’s Responsible Care Strategic Review Executive Taskforce. He earned both his Bachelor of Science degree and Ph.D. in Biochemical Engineering from INSA in Toulouse, France. Mr. Brondeau also holds a master’s degree in Food Sciences from the University of Montpellier, France.